Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Include which-key.el in the Emacs distribution
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 14:10:06 -0400

    That was Eli's point -- it doesn't work with C-h -- please try it.

      C-h
      ;; Shows first "C-h (Type ? for further options)-", then after a secondthe
      ;; which-key pop-up occurs.
      C-h
      ;; Now the C-h help help buffer will be shown.
      C-n
      ;; Now you're viewing the NEWS file.

    I.e., you cannot paginate through the commands if you are issuing C-h
    and have which-key-mode on.

   You also can't invoke describe-prefix-bindings from C-h in vanilla
   emacs. The reason is the same. which-key is just intercepting the
   help-char to do the pagination.

As a user the background reasons for why something is not possible are
not interesting.  which-key tells me to use C-h to visit the next
page; that does not work if you've just hit C-h once already -- it
invokes help-for-help (C-h C-h), which is not what the user is being
told to expect.