Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 12:20:00 +0200

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 05:09:49AM -0400, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
  >Fair enough.  I don't think we (Emacs community) are in a position to
  >make it look "modern" and sexy.  I know I'm not because my notion of
  >"modern and sexy" is quite outmoded ;-)
  >
  >But "looks old" is usually not a deal breaker, just a negative
  >first impression.

  Actually spacemacs made it to look a bit more modern by just changing
  some colors.

What kind of changes to colors was that?  It would be good to quantify
what "modern" means.

In general this is very subjective. But looking at WinXP vs Win10 one
gets more or less where the style feeling is moving to. Specially the
colors and the default fonts in the interfaces make a big difference;
but also the whole integration.

  >Whenever I have to write text outside Emacs I feel hampered.

  Emacs has even a telegram client, jabber client, and IRC... so of course
  any method we use to communicate must have an emacs client, a web or
  desktop client and a mobile client.

Only as long as those protocols/systems do not require or recommend
non-free software.

I just mentioned those as examples of how software communities interact
these days. But of course emacs has special requirements.

In particular I would recommend to give a look to a self-hosted
Mattermost or Matrix.org or Zulip. So far the only missing for the
moment is the emacs client, but apis are available.