Re: A modern-mode?

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:36:09 +0100

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:02:20PM +0200, Thibaut Verron wrote:
> I don't think that I'm the only one with this understanding, see for
> example the earlier post suggesting the name newbie-mode (synonymous
> to beginner-mode for me) with the idea that users would eventually
> grow out of this mode, like training wheels. I don't consider any of
> the suggested settings to be training wheels.

It's the use of the theme (or mode) that's expected to be "grown out
of". As the user progresses they'll discover they like this, but they
don't like that, and now they have to make the choice of whether to
disable the theme and just enable the features they want in their
init.el, or enable the theme and try to disable the features they
don't want in their init.el. I think the latter option is less
desirable and probably harder to achieve.

Perhaps the theme should come with documentation explaining what you
need to add to your init.el to achieve the same effects.
--
Alan Third