Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 11:55:02 +0000

In isearch-mode-map at least, the number of changes on control keys during the last twenty years or so is very small: C-u (to allow arguments to subcommands), C-h (to enable help on the isearch-mode-map keys) and C-x (to allow C-x 8 RET).

Recent discussion shows there has been at least one more -- C-y. And I recall C-w. And C-e, I think.

No, as I wrote a few lines above in the message you are replying to, C-y and C-w are bound in isearch-mode-map since at least 1992.

I think Richards point was that there had been such changes, if they where made in 1992 or some other year isn't really significant. Rather, that they still trip him over.

Yes, and my question is: to which point of time is he referring? I looked further back in time again, and in Emacs 16.56 (1985!), the isearch.el file already has (in the comments and in the code):

"^G means the user tried to quit"
"^S means search again, forward, for the same string"
"^R is similar but it searches backward"
"^W means gobble next word from buffer"
"^Y means gobble rest of line from buffer"

And ^Q was already bound to isearch-quote-char.

At that point of time IIUC isearch was terminated by either ESC or a random control char.

Apparently (but I could not find a precise point of time) RET started to mean exit search near the end of the development of Emacs 18, around 1990.