Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 12:58:53 +0200

On 06.01.2021 07:02, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > https://repology.org/project/nmap/packages (okay, this shows the
   > homepage too) clearly shows the non-standard license where it can.

I am having trouble understanding that page.  It gives a lot of
details but does not explicitly say how they relate to each other.
In particular, I don't know who the many packages listed
relate to each other.  I can only guess that they all relate to
the program nmap somehow.

Seems like it shows all packages that have "nmap" in their name or description string there.

Also, I don't know what facts that page is trying to present.

Check out https://repology.org/about:

About

Repology is a service which tracks and compares package versions in more than 120 package repositories.
Purpose

    For package/port maintainers:
        Discover new releases of software you maintain packages for
        Find new projects to package
        Get in touch with fellow maintainers to improve packages together
Keep package naming and versioning schemes in sync to other repos for your and your user's convenience
        Fix problems detected by repology, such as broken links
    For software authors:
        Keep track of where and how well your project is packaged
        Keep in touch with your product package maintainers
    For users:
        Discover new releases of software you use
Pick distribution most suitable for you, in terms of package quantity, freshness or stability
        Keep in touch with maintainers of software you use

Most importantly, does Repology list nmap with nonfree packages as a
peculiar exception because it has had a peculiar history recently?  Or
does repology.org regularly list nonfree programs without trying to
distinguish?

It tries to provide the correct license information. That's about it.