Re: Inserting by name and describing some PUA characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Inserting by name and describing some PUA characters
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 18:51:49 +0200

> From: jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:13:42 +0100

> (define-char-code-property 'name
>   #^[nil nil char-code-property-table nil #^^[1 0 nil nil nil nil nil
>
> [...]
>
> J JJ C K T P H] [A AE YA YAE EO E YEO YE O WA WAE OE YO U WEO WE WI YU EU YI
> I] [G GG GS N NJ NH D L LG LM LB LS LT LP LH M B BS S SS NG J C K T P H]]]]
>   "Unicode character name.
> Property value is a string or nil.
> The value nil stands for the default value \"null string\").")

> I expected that the names of the PUA MUFI characters will be added to
> the existing Unicode names. However after evaluating it 'describe-char'
> doesn't show the names of the Unicode character. I assume the culprit is
> 'mufi-name.el' but of course the problem can be more complicated.

I think with the current infrastructure you will have to regenerate
uni-name.el such that it includes information both from
UnicodeData.txt and from MUFI.  uni-name.el will then be loaded when
first used.

Alternatively, I think you could use put-char-code-property to modify
the 'name' property of the PUA codepoints you want to use for MUFI.