Re: [feature/dll-only-windows] A new windows build, comments wanted

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [feature/dll-only-windows] A new windows build, comments wanted
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:34:58 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
>> Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 22:36:36 +0100
>>
>> > I cannot tell you what to do, but it would be nice to have binaries
>> > that can be run on older Windows versions.  So if the build supports
>> > XP and older Windows, keeping the 32-bit build would be an advantage.
>>
>> MSYS2 MinGW-w64 binaries do not support XP, they officially decided this
>> some years ago and now some runtime dlls use APIs not present on XP.
>
> That's what I knew.  So in that case, I see no reason for us to
> produce official 32-bit binaries, as the chances for them being used
> are likely nil.

Then I shall disable the code that produces it for Emacs-28. I will
leave the code and the "-x86_64-" names in place, I think, just in case
we get any complaints from Windows 7/10 32-bit users. Then, that can go
for Emacs-29, so binaries will become simply "emacs-29.1.zip" or
"emacs-29.1-installer.exe".

Assuming that this smaller DLL only distribution tests once I start
producing snapshots, I will also remove the "-no-deps" zip from
Emacs-28. At this point, I no longer need the independent copies of the
dependencies, so they can go as well. That will reduce the total number
of files for releases from 8 binary + 1 source (for the deps), to 2
binary + 1 source.

Phil