Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball - t

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball - take 2
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:08:37 +0000

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:
>>
>> That will be a significant help, actually. I presume that any build
>> would be missing bundled packages?
>
> I don't follow.
>
> If you mean "a build from an emacs directory tree", then it will have
> whatever the developer checked out into that tree.
>

>     ./checkout_git_elpa_worktrees.sh
>
> then the build will have the bundled packages.
>
> The last option is indented for your Windows packaging workflow; it uses
> git worktrees instead of submodules.

Apologies that was a very badly worded question, but yes, you have
answered it. I had missed the "checkout_git_elpa_worktrees.sh" option
apologies. If that works it would require only a small update to my
scripts so sounds excellent.

Are you going to get this onto a branch first; I'll be happy to test the
Windows packaging when you have.

> If they do neither of these options, the build will not have the bundled
> packages.
>
>> For me, this would not be a hassle because I'll just set it up so they
>> install from ELPA on first use.
>
> This is with your emacs user hat on, I guess. Yes, using a build from an
> emacs directory tree without bundled packages would require getting
> those packages via M-x list-packages (or equivalent).

Yes, that's as a normal user.

>> It would still break my windows packaging scripts which use worktrees,
>
> It should not, as described above.

Thank your taking the time and effort to think about this, it's really
greatly appreciated!

Phil