Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 12:39:11 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 25.04.2021 18:18, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>> I think adding PageUp/PageDown and displaying that is the best idea
>> here, so I have now done that on master.
>
> I really like using SPC/S-SPC for scrolling.
>
> It also works in other programs (even though Shift-Space rarely shows up
> in any menus or hints), so it should be helpful to support as well.

I agree it should be added, and as I pointed out in a different reply
that is also more consistent with the binding that already exists in
`special-mode-map'.

However, the `make-help-screen' macro uses (read-key-sequence nil) to
get the key, but when I press S-SPC, that function only returns " ".

So perhaps we need to change `make-help-screen' to use `read-event' or
something?  But that seems like a bigger change than I want to get into
right now just to add this binding.

IOW, if anyone wants to help with this, please go ahead.