Re: Move shorthands.el to lisp/emacs-lisp/?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move shorthands.el to lisp/emacs-lisp/?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:41:31 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:31:07 +0700
> Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, João Távora
> <joaotavora@gmail.com>,
>       Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>, Emacs developers
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > P.S. And I don't actually understand why you decided to chime in:
> > would something I said cause sub-optimal results?
>
> Just trying to dispel myths. There are a lot of those around Git, and
> I find that suboptimal. Nothing personal and I’m sorry if you perceive
> it as nitpicking on you.

I don't perceive it as nitpicking, I perceive it as raising the noise
level here, something we hardly need.

> People may acquire an anxiety like “if you meant to ‘git mv’ a file
> but you just did an F6 Enter in a file manager, you have to move it
> back and do it correctly”. That is not the case; one just needs to
> stage both the deletion and the addition.
>
> Alternatively, they may get an idea that “as long as you use ‘git mv’,
> Git will track the rename”. This is also not the case; if one modifies
> the moved file before committing the move, exact move detection will
> not work and Git will fall back to heuristic-based move detection.

All I asked was to use "git mv", which AFAIK is _the_ recommended
method of renaming files under Git.  Any thoughts about Git-related
anxieties are neither intended nor implied.

This is not a Git mailing list, so we don't really need to discuss
every possible way of doing an operation with Git.  One that works is
enough.