Re: Against sqlite3!!!

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Against sqlite3!!!
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 10:21:48 +0100

Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:

>> Than implement a way for Emacs to dump lisp objects to files faster. It
>> would be
>> very useful for Emacs in general.
> I think for this question, the one-and-for-all solution is. to have a fully
> incremental persistent object store, i.e. all mutation are stored
> incrementally without ever needing to print out the “fully value”
> of a Lisp value. What do you think?

I am not sure I understand what you mean. What is "fully value" of a Lisp
value. You mean entire object?

> resist!.el in its current form basically implemented a special case
> of the above, where only mutation to the top level hash table
> is persisted incrementally.
>
> I can’t see a way to implement persistent object store without
> some non-trivial memory overhead, though (because each
> object has to get an unique id). The best thing I can come up
> with has to have a hash table that maps every object in the
> store to a numeric ID. Is that too much?

Honestly, I have no idea.

I just meant that it is very useful to be able to serialize/deserialize lisp
ojbects, in general, without need to go through some intermediate key/value
database.

I don't know what you are doing to start with; I haven't looked at your
resist.el, but maybe you can cache keys that needs to be flushed to disk in some
'dirty state (a list of kyes) and flush just those keys to a file in idle timer.