Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 09:50:44 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:14:30 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I don't think we want to reinstate Motif support.
>
> The code still works perfectly: reinstating that line allowed me to
> configure and build a functioning Motif Emacs, even with new features
> such as XInput2.

We didn't remove Motif because it was broken, we removed it because
the consensus was it was relatively unused and unsupported by distros.

> It won't hurt to keep that code, especially since nobody has managed to
> break in close to a year since it was disabled, even with large features
> such as XInput2 and the xwidgets update.

I don't like to go back on our decisions except if they turn out to be
grave mistakes.  So, unless there are very good reasons to reinstate
Motif support, I'd like to leave it unsupported.

Let's see what others think about this.