Re: Changes to make in elpa-packages file for nongnu elpa

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Changes to make in elpa-packages file for nongnu elpa
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:55:13 +0000

> Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

>>> I don't know much about Helm, but does it not support CRM?
>>
>> It does, but this is a much better interface than CRM.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to add support like this in the core,

Perhaps yes. However it doesn't requires helm:

     (let ((helm-comp-read-use-marked t))
        (if (and (boundp 'helm-mode) helm-mode)
            (completing-read ...)
          (completing-read-multiple ...)

> but is there something we should keep in mind to not hinder
> integration with Helm?

No don't worry, helm will work in any cases, thanks.

>>> This doesn't allow selecting specific package versions, in case multiple
>>> are installed (which might easily happen if you use package-vc).  I
>>> stole the code in my patch from package-delete, and I guess it would be
>>> possible to generalise it into a utility function.
>>
>> Ok, I don't know much how package-vc works.
>
> I can have a classical tarball package installed next to a VC package,
> just like you can have a built-in package or a system package, and it
> makes sense to be able to decide which one to isolate.

Ok, I understand.

>>> This doesn't work, because the above returns a string, not a list of
>>> strings.
>>
>> No, it works, the above returns a list of strings (the completing-read
>> allows marking and returns always a list).
>
> Not in my case, I got a type error.

Yes, because the let-bounded var had no effect in your case, otherwise
when helm is installed and helm-mode enabled the completing-read will
always return a list.

>>> This is actually a good idea, assuming there are no issues with lexical
>>> scoping that might arise from --eval.  I didn't think of using
>>> package-load-list here, but it seems that this only works if we don't
>>> add --init-directory, because otherwise the elpa/ directory is not
>>> populated.
>>
>> Yes of course.
>>
>>> It seems to me, that for a proper isolated environment, we should add
>>> a --init-directory option.
>>
>> Why as long as other directories in elpa are not in load-path?
>
> Mainly to avoid issues with packages that might place files in the
> configuration directory, which might hinder the reproduction of bugs.

Hmm, maybe, I don't have an example in mind though.

> Upon reflection, my approach might have an issue if the user wishes to
> install a package, for the sake of testing within the isolated
> environment.

Yes, one more reason to use the original elpa dir ;-)

> Perhaps it would be better to set `package-directory-list' instead?

Don't know yet.

> Also, would it make sense to have some visual/textual indication that
> this is a testing environment?  Perhaps the *scratch* buffer string
> could be modified or the default background colour could be set to
> something else.

No particular opinions about this.

--
Thierry