Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:16:08 +0100

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 3:59 PM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 11:14 AM João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > No, but it would be one explanation of why you would be top of mind in a
> > > discussion of why developers might not be inclined to be directly
> > > involved in core development.
> >
> > If it were that it misses the mark.  I had already been involved in
> > core  development years before Eglot, and in many other places, and I
> > have no plans to stop just because of that one divergence, which
> > wasn't even anything special considering baggage accumulated over
> > the 10+ years I've been doing this.
>
> Right, that's where you would come down.  But if I were a developer of
> an external package considering whether it should be moved into core
> emacs, that discussion would be one I would be considering.

Sure, but also consider that a reasonable compromise was found in
the end, and that the move as a whole was a great success, and was
complemented by many existing Eglot users.  Dmitry is the sole
exception I know of, for other reasons being discussed in a side thread,
Dmitry isn't even a user yet, rather a provider of very important
infrastructure to Eglot.

So I get that reading a large energetic discussion is very
exciting but not need to lose track of the forest just
because you spot a particular branch of a tree catch fire from time
to time.

No bridges were burned and before and since that discussion much
more interesting things have been happening to Eglot in Emacs, and
the participants  in that discussion have resumed the healthy
collaboration of always.  Even though that may be more boring, I
would focus on that when considering moving a package to core.

João