Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:50:06 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:

> I think they deserve the courtesy of not encroaching if alternatives can
> be found;

That's curious, because "encroaching" goes both ways I could see you ask
that very thing of the other camp.  I guess it's a question of who can
legitimately lay claim to a name in a finite namespace.  I've said
before I don't think "I saw it first" should be a criteria.

>> My 2¢, as a passive observer, not a Clojure programmer either, whose
>> only interests lie in (a) alienating as few people as possible (b)
>> getting dopamine hits from finding specks of consistency amidst chaos:
>>
>> * "lisp-clojure-mode", following other "FAMILY-DIALECT-mode" examples
>>   like "makefile-gmake-mode",
>>
>> * no specific name (keep the name from the inherited mode,
>>   lisp-data-mode in your example), just a mode-line hint, following
>>   other "FAMILY[DIALECT]" examples like sh-script and
>>   "Shell-script[bash]".
>
> I like these ideas as well, even though I am hesitant to call Clojure a
> Lisp proper ;)

No problem about the first, but I think the second doesn't work with
Eglot, I think.  It needs a unique major mode symbol.

João