Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 7

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: master 72b1379f079: Increase `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column` to 72
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 12:57:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> I'm surprised that you are opposed to something that has
>>> close to no effect on the doc strings.
>>
>> It will have an 8 char or +12.5% effect on the doc strings.
>
> No, it won't, because we fill our doc strings mostly "by
> hand", disregarding the fill-column setting.

Okay, a misunderstanding here.

Because it doesn't matter how the editing happens or how the
doc string is produced, a maximum of 72 allowed chars compares
to 64 as described.

It is the extra capacity that is counted, not the actual
length of all docstrings currently found all over the
documented Elisp world.

If one writes a 10 char docstring, one still has the extra
space at 72 compared to 64, one just didn't use it.
That's another thing.

But of course the extra space will be used!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal