Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark on utf8

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark on utf8 device
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 12:15:59 +0400

Bruno Haible:

> Anton Shepelev:
>
> > Is it possible to tell groff to use the standard
> > hyphen-minus sign of the ASCII table instead  of
> > \[u2012] for hyphenation?
>
> People  who  ask  this  usually have a groff input
> that uses '-' both to designate a hyphen  (between
> English words) and a minus sign (such as in formu-
> las or in command-line  options).  But  a  hyphens
> looks  nicer  when  it  is thin; \[u2012] achieves
> this. What you really want to do is to change your
> groff input so that it uses
>
>  * - for hyphens,
>  * \- for minus signs.
>
> Example:
>
>  \fBiconv \-f ISO\-8859\-1 \-t UTF\-8\fP
>  converts input from the old West-European encoding ISO\-8859\-1 to Unicode.

I now understand why it was done.  But in my case, I
am using Tutf8 (not Tps) and want  it  to  be  fully
backwards  compatible  with  Tascii, except for non-
Latin letters.  So  I  do  want  to  use  the  ASCII
HYPHEN-MINUS symbol, which is shorter than MINUS and
longer than HYPHEN, for all three.

> > it can be done using the .shc request.
>
> AFAIU, this will have the effect that  hyphens  at
> the  end  of  a  line will look like a minus sign,
> that is, ugly.

They will all be HYPHEN-MINUSes, just  like  in  our
e-mails.

Anton