Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Apostrophe mapped onto single closing quotation mark
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 12:06:38 +0200

> The "crude hack" [...] effectively turns apostrophe into prime,
> known in groff as foot mark, \[fm], which may be what you were
> hoping for.

I disagree.  The prime (or foot mark, or minute mark) is
actually slightly slanted, whereas the typewriter quote is
(usually) exactly vertical.  The typewriter quote should not
be used in place of a prime.  It is only acceptable where you
want to emulate a typewriter (or maybe to typeset computer
code)[*], and nowhere else.
Eqn translates "ASCII single quote" to a real prime.

[*] But I really prefer computer code typeset with "balanced"
right and left single quotes.  The character at ASCII position
60h was often called "backquote" for the simple reason that
it really was a symmetrical version of the "quote".  This was
very common on UNIX systems before Unicode became the rage,
as many fonts were encoded with Adobe's ISOLatin1Encoding,
which had a real right quote at position 27h, and a real
left quote at position 60h.