guix-devel

Re: guix system: error: service 'ssh-daemon' requires 'networking', whic

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: guix system: error: service 'ssh-daemon' requires 'networking', which is undefined
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:48:28 +0200

> From a regular user's point of view, this still misses the point,
> which I originally attempted to make. I suggest an error message like
> this:
>
> 'ssh-daemon' requires 'networking', try adding
> 'static-networking-service' or 'dhcp-client-service' to system
> services
>
> Or something like that. The point is, make it clear that "requires
> networking" means adding at least one service to the operating
> system's services and make at least one suggestion. Definitely a step
> forward to user friendliness.

I concur, from a simple end-user, sometimes guix error messages are
at best cryptic. It looks like the messages are expecting the user to be
an experienced scheme coder. If guix wants to get more users, that
experience should be enhanced.

Backtraces are great for debugging, not as user interface.

I say that as a 20+ years experienced software engineer, so imagine someone
coming from windows or macos... :-)

Don't take those remarks too harshly, this is just my newbiesque point of
view, it should hopefully change as I mature, and I hope to be able to
contribute
something to help those pain points...

--
Vincent Legoll