guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 16:28:51 -0400

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Please read into the chromium thread or search locally through it -
> Marius already had some comments on ungoogled-chromium. Our chromium
> browser is not just chromium taken from upstream. Many (maintained)
> patches are taken and applied.

Thanks for mentioning this.  You seem to be referring to the [0]
message and the [1] package from last year, which I hadn't seen
before.

To quote Marius,

,----[ Marius Bakke <address@hidden> ]
| I actually picked most of the patches from ungoogled-chromium (which
| includes inox and iridium), but skipped "high maintenance" ones. This
| started as an attempt to package that very project, but they were
| lagging too far behind upstream IMO.
|
| FSDG problems is the reason I haven't advertised it. At the very least,
| the Google integrations should be disabled and analytics removed (but
| Chromium can't currently build without either). I think if most of the
| "FIXMEs" are resolved upstream, it might be eligible for a free distro.
|
| Now that the cat is out of the box, feel free to send patches somewhere
| and I'll incorporate them in the branch :-)
`----

With regards to FSDG problems, I wonder what the status is today,
considering that ungoogled-chromium's patch sets seem to have
grown a fair bit in number [2], and might be already addressing
some of the issues.

As for the "lagging too far behind upstream" issue, that doesn't
seem to be the case anymore: looking at releases on [3] and [4]
it looks like ungoogled-chromium's latest shipped release matches
the latest released chromium version.  Granted, I have noticed in
the past for ungoogled-chromium to lag behind the latest release
by a week or two, that'd still be better compared to the current
situation with respect to the current Firefox/IceWeasel release.

  -amin

[0]: https://lists.gnu.org/r/guix-devel/2017-01/msg00928.html
[1]:
https://github.com/guix-users/guix-nonfree/blob/master/gnu/packages/chromium.scm