guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 08:13:04 +0000

Joshua Branson transcribed 1.4K bytes:
> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Joshua Branson transcribed 2.3K bytes:

> >> There is also the Brave browser
> >>
> >> https://brave.com/
> >
> > It would very likely not be accepted in Guix. At least by my
> > interpretation of what we have included and cared for so far. Brave is
> > basically replacing Ads with other Ads and all the requests you make
> > in the browser are send through their proprietary servers.
> > Could be that we already discussed Brave a while back on irc or on
> > this list. Even when rejected, no onw forbids anyone to provide it
> > outside of core.
>
> Oh really?  I had no idea that they send stuff through their proprietary
> servers.  That doesn't really make it free software.  :(  Bummer.

I've read into it again. Technically their source code is open.
But. There's only a minimal gain and possible even inside Guix
work to modify Brave to fit into our model, as they use Chromium.
It still looks like their server side is proprietary. Understandable,
but I'm waiting on how much information they publish with the 1.0
release as they hint to do so in their FAQ (https://brave.com/faq/).

I'm interested but very sceptic about it.

Read more (but no technical details) at https://brave.com/about-ad-replacement/

Debian has not processed the RFP for it so far: