guix-devel

Re: What ARM hardware should we buy and where should we host it?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: What ARM hardware should we buy and where should we host it?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 23:37:25 +0200

Hi Andreas,

> On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 01:37:54PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> The first question is what ARM hardware to buy; the second is where to
>> host that hardware.  Here are some considerations:
>
> concerning hosting, I could easily host one smaller machine (like the
> Overdrive 1000) in my living room, Tobias has stepped up, and I suppose
> other members of the Guix community could do so as well. So we would end
> up with a somewhat distributed effort, which would be nice for resilience
> and spreading system administration load.

Yes, this is good.

Close to the end of this year I could probably also start hosting one
Overdrive 1000 at my home.  (After moving to a new place.)

> For more centralised options, we could host machines at Aquilenet; in
> addition to the rack in the datacentre where they host bayfront, they
> just opened a "free form hosting option". Prices are here:
>    https://atelier.aquilenet.fr/projects/services/wiki/Hergementlibre/7/diff

Thanks for sharing this.  In my opinion, it would be good if we could
increase the number of build machines first before we allow too much of
the funds to be regularly consumed by hosting costs.

--
Ricardo