guix-devel

Re: mips64el machine - mrustc

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: mips64el machine - mrustc
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 01:49:05 -0400

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:
> does anyone have a mips64el machine?
> Could I have an (unprivileged) account on one for a little while?
>
> I'm trying to get mrustc to work on mips64el, but I don't have such a machine
> and
> transparent Guix qemu-binfmt-service-type doesn't seem to work for it either
> (but does work for aarch64 and arm, WTF?).

Thanks for working on our Rust packages, and for making sure the other
architectures are not left in the cold.  I truly appreciate it!

As far as I can tell, I'm the only user of Guix on MIPS in recent years.
I still have a working Yeeloong laptop based on Loongson 2F, which is
running a modified GuixSD.  The most notable modification is that my
GuixSD system on mips64el is based on older binutils (2.25.1), because
I've found that running code built by later versions of binutils causes
my Yeeloong to lock up hard at some random time during compilation.  I
guess it's because either the assembler or the linker is producing code
that tickles a bug in the Loongson 2F, but I've not yet found the energy
to get to the bottom of this issue.

Anyway, the situation is that our MIPS port is more or less "on ice",
meaning that it could be revived with modest effort, but at the present
time there's not enough developer attention to keep it functional.

So, please don't worry about MIPS support in Rust for now.

Thanks again for your work on our Rust packages.  It's a great help!

      Mark