guix-devel

mips64el port

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: mips64el port
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 14:41:55 +0200

Hello Mark,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Anyway, the situation is that our MIPS port is more or less "on ice",
> meaning that it could be revived with modest effort, but at the present
> time there's not enough developer attention to keep it functional.

What do you think would be the best course of action with our mips64el
port now?

Our documentation should probably reflect the fact that it’s not
receiving much attention, for instance by removing mentions of it from
the manual and web site, and optionally by having ‘configure’ reject it
unless ‘--with-courage’ is passed.

Another approach would be to get build machines (possibly via the
qemu-binfmt service), though if there are few users that may not help
much.  Or we could try to make GuixSD a viable option for mips-based
routers that typically run OpenWRT, though that’s a bit ambitious…

Thoughts?

Ludo’.