guix-devel

Re: FSDG status of chromium

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: FSDG status of chromium
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:57:49 -0400

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:11:50 +0200 Andy wrote:
> Are you aware of any concrete issue that has been raised

look no further than the original 10 year old bug report that was never
closed - that is enough "concrete" for my sensibilities - it plainly
demonstrates that even the chromium developers are not certain whether
or not it is 100% freely distributable

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:11:50 +0200 Andy wrote:
> Any non-free file or incompatible in our distribution?

no - and that is exactly the core problem - AFAIK no person on this
planet knows the definitive answer to that question, including the
upstream developers themselves, as demonstrated by the 10 year old bug
report that was never closed

from around 2009-2012 it actively addressed several such files then
activity just petered out - perhaps those because more tedious to
locate because of the overwhelming size of the code-base

let me underline again, that this is not a new issue nor a guix issue -
this is a long-standing issue that affects all FSDG distros equally -
the most appropriate and helpful venue to discuss this is the FSDG
mailing list - i started this thread only because it is apparent that
no one from guixsd is currently participating in those discussions; and
so to invite you to do so for the benefit of the wider free software
community