guix-devel

RE: ~/.guix-profile/manifest usage with "guix package -m [manifest]" / "

From: YOANN P
Subject: RE: ~/.guix-profile/manifest usage with "guix package -m [manifest]" / "guix pack -m [manifest]" etc..
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 20:03:23 +0000

Hi,

>YOANN P <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I was thinking than "~/.guix-profile/manifest" was a valid manifest file due
>> to his name, but it seems not that is the case from the error i've got
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/Z7h2t5mL
>>
>> After some search , i've finally understand that the instantiated profile
>> couldn't be used as source profile for "guix package -m" etc... due to the
>> same words despite use case and is a bit confusing
>
>I agree it’s a bit confusing.  The manual does make it clear that -m
>expects source code that evaluates to a manifest object, though.

Indeed, but I only found the IRC discussion between alezost and you who
explained it clearly.
I'm not sure that alezost and me was the only ones who do the same error, but
maybe adding in manual a comparison between formats will be great, or maybe use
another keyword for the instantiate manifest ?

>> https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2016-05-27#T1040380
>>
>> It will be really convenient to only have the instantiate profile to easily
>> maintain it in a vcs system.
>>
>> Despite what ludo said in 2016 on IRC, i didn't see those options yet.
>> Did i missed them ?
>> If not implemented yet, any news about this feature ? :)
>
>No news I’m afraid :-) but I’ve opened an issue so we keep track of it:
>
>  https://issues.guix.info/issue/32844
>
>Maybe you can help?

No offense, but, even if didn't try too many times to understand Guile Scheme,
even if i really love Guix, the last time i tried to contribute
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6e0efe8cd5c85e7b83808b466c626484274def8d)
 I really was not comfortable with this new language and my brain found it hard
to understand the indentation rules / closing parenthesis for a first approach.
If i acquire the skills to add it before someone doing it instead of me, i will
submit it with pleasure, because i'm sure to be not the only one with this need
:) and will be a pleasure to support a project i want  see growing.

>Thanks,
>Ludo’.

Nb: not directly related to this discussion, but since my last commit, i don't
know if you already add it, but adding to your CI a build test for the packages
with a custom store to be sure there is no hardcoded path to /gnu will prevent
this kind of errors.

Thanks Ludo for always answering me, i really appreciate it.
Best regards,

Yoann