guix-devel

Re: ~/.guix-profile/manifest usage with "guix package -m [manifest]" / "

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ~/.guix-profile/manifest usage with "guix package -m [manifest]" / "guix pack -m [manifest]" etc..
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 18:33:17 +0200

Hello,

YOANN P <address@hidden> skribis:

> No offense, but, even if didn't try too many times to understand Guile
> Scheme, even if i really love Guix, the last time i tried to contribute
> (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6e0efe8cd5c85e7b83808b466c626484274def8d)
>  I really was not comfortable with this new language and my brain found it
> hard to understand the indentation rules / closing parenthesis for a first
> approach.
> If i acquire the skills to add it before someone doing it instead of me, i
> will submit it with pleasure, because i'm sure to be not the only one with
> this need :) and will be a pleasure to support a project i want  see growing.

Sure, no problem.  :-)  We all rely heavily on editor support for
parenthesis matching and indentation.  The ‘etc/indent-code.el’ script
that comes with Guix helps with the latter (see
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Formatting-Code.html>).
Now I understand it takes some time to get used to it!

> Nb: not directly related to this discussion, but since my last commit, i
> don't know if you already add it, but adding to your CI a build test for the
> packages with a custom store to be sure there is no hardcoded path to /gnu
> will prevent this kind of errors.

No we don’t have such tests, but it’s a good idea.

Thanks,
Ludo’.