guix-devel

Re: Blog: Guix packaging tutorial

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Blog: Guix packaging tutorial
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 21:44:09 +0200

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

>> I’m not sure what you mean by “generated in scope”.
>>
>> The ‘%’ convention is just a convention (and Andy and I realized a while
>> back we interpreted the convention differently :-)) so we shouldn’t draw
>> too much from that.
>>
>> Regarding ‘%build-inputs’ and ‘%outputs’, I think it’s enough to say
>> that these are global variables.  Whether they are in scope depends on
>> whether a local variable shadows them.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> I borrowed the expression "generated in scope" from Pjotr's
> https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/HACKING.org.
>
> Are they really "global" variables?  My (quick) understanding from
> derivations.scm is that the %-prefixed variables are defined at
> derivation-time.  I think it's important to make this explicit.  What do you
> think?

‘%build-inputs’ etc. are global variables of package derivation build
scripts; see ‘build-expression->derivation’ in (guix derivations).

To view the code of one of these scripts, open the file returned by:

  $ guix gc --references $(guix build -d coreutils) | grep builder
  /gnu/store/v02xky6f5rvjywd7ficzi5pyibbmk6cq-coreutils-8.29-guile-builder

>> When would you like it to be on line?
>
> Well, as soon as possible :)  Monday 1st, maybe?

Alright, let’s see how far we go; I’ll be AFK most of the day tomorrow
though, so it might have to be on Tuesday.

Thanks,
Ludo’.