guix-devel

Re: [GSOC 2020] Discussing GNU Guix project ideas?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2020] Discussing GNU Guix project ideas?
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 23:32:43 +0100

Dear Leandro,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 23:42, Leandro Doctors <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am interested in the Scheme-based ideas. (I have recently
> rediscovered LISP, and I am a Clojure fan.) However, I haven't found
> any indication on how to proceed in the Ideas page [1].

Elsewhere, you have been discussing a proposal of about "Guile build
tool"; which IMHO a large and hard task.

Based on your interests (Clojure, Leiningen, etc.), you should
consider something around a Clojure "importer". (Note that I am
ignorant about the Java ecosystem.)

Currently, it is possible to import Python packages from PyPI, or
Haskell packages from Hackage, or etc. see [1] and something about
Clojure seems missing. I am quoting Ludo from [2]:

Now we should keep in touch with the Clojure folks to work on an
importer (I learned about “tools.deps”) and to get Clojupyter packaged…

and then Jupyter is a "poor-man web-browser" version of Org-mode (very
opinionated! ;-)) and Clojupyter [3] is one of its kernel.

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-01/msg00189.html
[3] https://github.com/clojupyter/clojupyter

Well, hope that helps as feedback.