guix-devel

Re: wishlist: Guix tagging/logging

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: wishlist: Guix tagging/logging
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 09:16:14 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> We could imagine that Guix (optionally) checkouts the complete repo
> and this Git repo is the database. (Note that Guix already checkouts
> some more or less large parts or the repo.)

A drawback is that the Git repo is huge and expensive to clone.
Also it would be nice if the user could create virtual tags, that is to
say, without having their own clone of the Guix repo (because it's
expensive).

It's lightweight to transfer an s-exp mapping of commits-tags to another
machine.  It's costsly to transfer the full Guix repo.

> And the tags could be exported to a s-exp file, go under version
> control and shared; with an importer tags.

This could fit the ~/.config/guix/config.scm we've been waiting for :D

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/