guix-devel

Re: wishlist: Guix tagging/logging

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: wishlist: Guix tagging/logging
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 17:23:53 +0100

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 16:52, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> So we could do as you said, but then we need a way to propagate the tags
> across all checkouts in .cache/guix/checkouts.

I do not know the (inferior) internals.
And currently I do not have the time to give a look into the sources
to crunch concrete details. :-)
So, it is hard for me to discuss further some "implementation
details". That's maybe why I pointed to your attention this wishlist.
;-)

> Otherwise, on the next guix pull  the tags would be lost.

Maybe not, if "guix pull" is simply an overlay to "git pull".
Well, I cannot tell because I do not know the internal details. With
*if* my aunt becomes my uncle. ;-)

My point is: since all or part of Git repo information is somehow
already locally there, then all or part of this information should
somehow be exposed at the Guix CLI level. The 2 first features missing
me are "git tag" and "git log".
However, I do not have more clue on how to process then. :-D
I mean right now I have more use-cases in mind than concrete
implementation details. :-)

Cheers,
simon