guix-devel

[GSOC 2020] Introduction and asking for feedback

From: Blackbeard
Subject: [GSOC 2020] Introduction and asking for feedback
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 00:33:53 -0600

Hello everyone,

My name is Alberto Flores, I am an student from Mexico, I've been part of the
#guix IRC channel as 'happy_gnu' and 'Blackbeard'. I've used Guix for a
few years, both as a package manager and distribution.

I want to apply to Google Summer of Code. The ideas I am most interested are
a) for GNU Guix: 'Content-addressed protocol for substitutes' and b) for
GNU Shepherd:  "Syntax and semantics of systemd units in the Shepherd",
because I have a feeling any of this two would improve the experience of most
Guix users.

However, I would like to ask for feedback in which might be a better option,
I would like to chose a project that I can get help and the community is
interested in.

Any help with the project and proposal would be much appreciated.

I am open for other ideas too. I know Christopher Webber started a thread
about Guile based build-tool and it looks great, but it seems like a huge
project for me and I would not like to fail in case I were accepted.

On other notes, I'll be sending my first patch this weekend, I packaged
the game widelands and it works, hopefully it will be accepted.
I also plan to send patches to the manual, and participate as much as I can.

Thank you all for your feedback and comments.
Alberto