guix-devel

Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2020 16:19:09 +0100

Hi Veera!

Welcome!

Veera <address@hidden> writes:

> I like to work with Danny Milosavljevic, the mentor of the project:
>  Guix Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix

Cool, sounds like this is very much needed!
Do you have a link to share the description of the assignment?

> I am a self taught computer and software user. I am a Linux user for 15 years.
> I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and others. I have built Linuxfromscratch
> and Beyond LFS and used them for a custom distro for myself. I know some C,
> Shell, awk, Perl, Python, Lua and basic system administration.
>
> I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little before.
> I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.

Since you are already familiar with programming, I suggest the book
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming.
It's available for free online:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

With modern editing:

http://sarabander.github.io/sicp/

It's available as a Texinfo manual which is packaged in Guix.

Finally, the video recordings of the class are insightful and to the
point:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

Cheers!

--