guix-devel

Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 21:31:32 +0100

Hello Veera,

Veera <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 7., Szo 16:05):
Hi,

I am R Veera Kumar from India. I have been selected as Outreachy applicant
for May 2020 round.
Nice to see you around.

I like to work with Danny Milosavljevic, the mentor of the project:
 Guix Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix

I am a self taught computer and software user. I am a Linux user for 15 years.
I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and others. I have built Linuxfromscratch
and Beyond LFS and used them for a custom distro for myself. I know some C,
Shell, awk, Perl, Python, Lua and basic system administration.
That is impressive. It looks like we can also learn from you.

I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little before.
I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.
This is not a problem. I believe it can be picked up easily. This won't be the biggest burden in the project.

How do I get started?
What contributions can I make?

To get started you should install guix. For this project it might make sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix development environment, by checking out the source code, and building it.

The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R package from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the importer.

You can also check out http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy and work on some easy bugs.

Thanks,
R Veera Kumar
mail: address@hidden, address@hidden
India

Thanks for your interest. I hope that I could give you useful information.

Best regards,
g_bor