guix-devel

Re: Website page to track packaging progress

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Website page to track packaging progress
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 11:27:24 -0500

Hi,

 ---- On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 06:31:29 -0500 Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
<address@hidden> wrote ----

 > > so you want an extended version of
 > > https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist, or am I
 > > misunderstanding?

I recently used that page to include a package, but, personally, I didn't like
that I had to create an account (I don't have other uses for that account).

 > I didn't know that existed, thanks for bringing it into my attention.
 >
 > I would prefer, indeed, a version with more details such as the progress
 > and who is working on it. Also, it would be nice to have this in a more
 > visible place. Maybe on the Contribute page, in the Packages section or
 > on the Packages page itself?

I think the issue tracker has the information you are looking for, and it
should be advertised as the tool for package requests. Some advantages:

* People don't have to create an account to send package requests.
* It has search functionality.
* You can see who's working on a package and find patches with work in progress.

If the issue tracker were used for package requests, I guess these requests
could be tagged (like easy issues http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy). That way
you could also point people to the current list of requested packages before
they send a new request.

As Alexandru-Sergiu, suggests, relevant pages in the website could be updated
to make this information more visible.

I could send a patch for this.