guix-devel

Website page to track packaging progress

From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
Subject: Website page to track packaging progress
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 07:46:38 +0200

Hi,

We are all aware that there are a number of common programs that people may want to use and are not available on Guix. Currently, if someone wants to know the packaging state of such a program, they need to come to the mailing lists and search or ask. This has the potential to progress towards the same question asked multiple times or the people may begin to feel discouraged to use Guix if they see the last effort to package something they need was from 2018.

I propose we put up a new page on the GNU Guix website that tracks the progress of at least some of the commonly desired packages that either do not exist at all on Guix or are outdated. A FAQ for packages, like Frequently Requested Packages (FRP) or something.

Examples include: GNOME, KDE, .NET Core, Rust, Python.

The page should contain details about what is keeping us from easily integrating each package into Guix.

If someone is known to work on any of the packages listed on that page, maybe list them as a contact (if they agree) for other people that may want to help?

If something similar exists already, please point me to it – there's a high chance I just can't find it.

Take care of yourselves. Cheers,
--
Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <address@hidden>
https://brown.121407.xyz