guix-devel

Re: Frequent locales problems for new users

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Frequent locales problems for new users
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:22:41 +0100

Ludo', Thorsten, Leo,

Ludovic Courtès 写道:
Well, we still need to be able to install locales somehow, right? :-)

This isn't about removing all locale packages, just the poorly-named -utf8- variant.

Thorsten Wilms 写道:
smaller than glibc-locales, but still sufficient for many cases.
Is that wrong?

Yes and no. It's sufficient for many (but not most) humans, but then that's true for ar_AE as well ;-)

Here's what it contains:

 de_DE.utf8 el_GR.utf8 en_US.utf8 fr_FR.utf8 tr_TR.utf8

Offering this as our only choice of ‘sufficient’ user locales has some unpleasant cultural overtones to say the least.

Where it is useful, and apparently does cover the majority of use cases, is in test suites &c. It's a good package for machines. Hiding it would make that clear, as we already do with tzdata-for-tests.

Ludovic Courtès 写道:
As for ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ vs. ‘glibc-locales’: the reason for choosing the former by default over the latter is size (14 MiB vs. 917 MiB). Perhaps an improvement would be for ‘glibc-utf8-locales’ to be more true to its name: to include all the UTF-8 locales glibc supports rather than
an arbitrary sample thereof.

That would make it well-named, so good by me!

Kind regards,

T G-R