guix-devel

Re: [GSoC 2020] [Proposal draft #0] Initial JVM support for Guix

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2020] [Proposal draft #0] Initial JVM support for Guix
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:39:15 -0400

Le 23 mars 2020 11:21:06 GMT-04:00, Leandro Doctors <address@hidden> a écrit :
>On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 21:41, Leandro Doctors <address@hidden>
>wrote:
>>  On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 19:32, zimoun <address@hidden>
>wrote:
>> > Based on your interests (Clojure, Leiningen, etc.), you should
>> > consider something around a Clojure "importer".
>>
>> I am preparing my proposal. I will send it in the next few days.
>
>Hello, everybody!
>
>This is my first draft (at the bottom of this message). Please note
>that the document is in a very early stage, so at this point there are
>still many questions unanswered (to which I have added some notes
>below).
>
>Your feedback will be crucial in answering questions and evolving the
>attached draft into a full proposal.
>
>Best,
>Leandro
>

>****** Notes ******
>- Whereas I may switch to org-mode, I am currently using LyX for
>writing the proposal.
>- I thought plain text was the best for getting feedback. If you think
>another format is better (Markdown, LaTeX, PDF...) please let me know.
>Pandoc is my friend :-)
>- I watched the whole Guix-Jupyter Scicloj video session from last
>January 9th, 2020.
>https://scicloj.github.io/posts/2020-03-07-guix-jupyter/
>- From what I see, in Guix there are compilers and importers (I'm in
>the process of getting familiar to this terminology).
>- There is already a compiler for Clojure, and Clojure has been
>packaged into Guix. However, there is no importer for Clojure
>packages...
>- I agree with some comments from the talk: given that Clojure is a
>hosted language, merely importing "Clojure packages" is impossible. In
>this case, as Clojure is hosted in the JVM, we should aim to importing
>Maven (an eventually, also Clojars) packages. So, adding "Clojure
>support" would mean "adding JVM support".
>- I guess that supporting tools/deps.edn would enable supporting Maven
>dependencies?
>- Packaging clojupyter would be a potential task to consider during
>the first coding period (maybe even before?)
>

>******************** Draft **********************
>

>Initial JVM support for Guix
>
>Leandro Doctors
><address@hidden>
>
>1 Overview<sec:Overview>
>
>Add support for importing JVM packages (jar files) into Guix.
>

>2 Status Quo<sec:Problem-Statement>
>
>Guix supports importing package metadata from multiple sources.
>Currently, these sources are as diverse as GNU packages,
>repositories such as the Python Package Index and the
>Comprehensive R Archive Network, and JSON files. However, there
>is another source not yet supported by Guix: JVM-based languages.
>Currently, Guix does not support importing from any JVM-based
>language, such as Java, Clojure. Considering Java is the most
>used programming language, this would be a very valuable addition
> [...]

Hi Leandro!

I'm glad you're interested in JVM languages. I am currently trying to build a
proper maven-build-system (it's a matter of days now). Some of the issues we
have with JVM languages and that you should take into account  for your
proposal:

- a jar file is a binary file that needs to be built from source. Exceptions
are compilers when there is no alternative (gcc used to be an example, but
there is nim, ocaml, maybe closure itself) and some tools that need themselves
to build (such as a parser, like javacc).
- maven allows programmers to upload a "source" jar, but it is meant for
debugging, contains generated sources and might be incomplete.
- maven doesn't link to source repositories
- how to find a source repository from a groupId and an artifactId is not clear
to me.

Considering that, I don't know if your project is doable. At least, all other
importers are able to give you a working source, but if it's really impossible,
having a list of dependencies would already be great :)

We have a lot of java packages, but none of them are usable with maven yet.
I've worked on those that are directly required to run maven and its common
plugins already, and will send patches as soon as everything works. There will
need to be a huge work on these packages to rebuild them, probably with the
maven-build-system.