guix-devel

Re: [GSoC 2020] [Proposal draft #0] Initial JVM support for Guix

From: Leandro Doctors
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2020] [Proposal draft #0] Initial JVM support for Guix
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:06:12 -0300

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 12:39, Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Leandro!

Hi, Julien,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I add my comments below.

> I'm glad you're interested in JVM languages.

In fact, I am only interested in Clojure... However, given that
Clojure is hosted on the JVM, it seems very difficult to me not to
think in JVM terms when describing a "Clojure importer". This is the
main reason behind the proposal name change from my previous emails.

> I cannot find a way to I am currently trying to build a proper
> maven-build-system (it's a matter of days now).

Again, I am only speaking in JVM terms because of Clojure's hosted nature.

> Some of the issues we have with JVM languages and that you should take into
> account  for your proposal:
[...]

Thanks for this!

> - maven allows programmers to upload a "source" jar, but it is meant for
> debugging, contains generated sources and might be incomplete.

Even though I don't have data to back up this claim, in the
Guix-Jupyter Scicloj video session [1] they mention that, in the case
of Clojure, most packages usually include sources.

[1] Guix-Jupyter Scicloj video session from January 9th, 2020.
https://scicloj.github.io/posts/2020-03-07-guix-jupyter/

> - maven doesn't link to source repositories

You're right.

However, Clojars (the primary hub for Clojure packages) does. Maybe
implementing Clojars support could be a first step?
(I still have to assess this, as there are many Clojure packages that
are published primarily in Maven Central...)

> - how to find a source repository from a groupId and an artifactId is not
> clear to me.

Considering the previous points, this seems mostly a Java-specific problem?

> Considering that, I don't know if your project is doable. At least, all other
> importers are able to give you a working source, but if it's
> really impossible, having a list of dependencies would already be great :)

I agree with you in that this does seem non-trivial...
Perhaps, this could be a research-oriented project? I mean, to see
whether it is feasible to (eventually) support the JVM, and the major
milestone being a minimalistic POC implementation for Clojars support?

> We have a lot of java packages, but none of them are usable with maven yet.
> I've worked on those that are directly required to run
> maven and its common plugins already, and will send patches as soon as
> everything works. There will need to be a huge work on
> these packages to rebuild them, probably with the maven-build-system.

I guess this means I should focus on Clojars?

Best,
Leandro