guix-devel

Re: Brainstorming features for issues.guix.gnu.org

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: Brainstorming features for issues.guix.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 10:46:14 +0100

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:49 AM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Guix!
>
> I want issues.guix.gnu.org to become more useful for all of us.

Yes, that is a nice goal, I have a few ideas.

> If you do use it: what features do you think are missing?

* I'd like to have a way to reverse the ordering of the results, especially
to get newer issues at the top (I think this should even be the default).

But as you say later, the "oldest first" view is also of interest, so
a classical
ordering combobox could be added

order-by:
- oldest to newest
- newest to oldest
- etc.

* The filtering hints are great (are they an exhaustive list, is there a full
list somewhere). But to ease their use, maybe they could be made
clickable, and a click on one could append it to the search entry, making
their usage from a "select, copy, change focus, paste, click search" into
"click item(s) from the hint list, click search"... This is not high
priority, but
maybe nice to have UI enhancement.

* the "is:Done" filtering shows some Open issues, is that a bug, or a
misunderstanding on my part about what is "Done"

> Personally, I’d wish for a more streamlined workflow to download and
> apply patch sets.  I don’t want to click on each “download” link in the
> web interface.  Instead I would like to run something like
>
>     ./etc/review 12345
>
> which would fetch the patches in issue 12345 and apply them to my
> git worktree.

or to a new branch (maybe you can take ideas from gerrit, not all of
it hopefully ;-))

> I would also like to see neglected issues in the web interface, i.e. a
> list of open issues that haven’t seen any response in a while and that
> haven’t been tagged as awaiting more information from the submitter.
> This should make it easier for us to prevent patches from slipping into
> obscurity, which is a terrible thing to happen especially for new
> contributors.

An indicator (à la Done, Open) could be added to make issues with
patches stand out.

Thanks for the great work BTW
Tchuss

--