guix-devel

Re: automake-1.16.2

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: automake-1.16.2
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 20:06:44 +0100

Vincent Legoll <address@hidden> writes:

>> We’d probably have to decide on a case by case basis which additional
>> dependencies we’d like to add, given that Automake has a lot of
>> dependents.
>
> For the tests they will be native-inputs, so only increase dependencies
> for building, is that a problem ? I would have thought that test coverage
> is more important (especially on such important packages), I'm probably
> missing something...

For such heavy-impact packages, an important consideration is that any
dependency we add gets the same impact.

Hypothetically, let's say Automake has an optional dependency on
'git' for some tests.  Providing git as a native-input means that we can
no longer update git outside of the "core-updates" cycle, because that
would cause too many rebuilds.

Of course there are ways to work around such cycles, but it complicates
the dependency graphs.