guix-devel

Re: native or not

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: native or not
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 18:54:03 +0100

Vincent Legoll <address@hidden> writes:

>> Christopher, looks like your work on data.guix.gnu.org
>> already triggered something useful ! ;-)
>
> And the view for comparing with previous run is just showing
> me what I wanted to see, perfect !

Nice, I'm glad that you're enjoying using the Guix Data Service, and
finding it useful :)

> Question: would this view show any `guix size` difference if any ?

So, `guix size` as I understand it looks at the size of the store item +
the size of all store items referenced both directly and indirectly.

The `guix size` script can use your local store, as well the data in
narinfo files from substitute files to determine the size of store
items, and there references.

The Guix Data Service gathers up narinfo files from substitute servers,
so the database should contain the necessary data on sizes and
references to provide equivalent information to the `guix size` script.

I like the idea of showing size changes on the comparison page, but I
think a good first step to take towards this would be to show the "size"
for a single item in the store.

This [1] is the page for the store output for the sudo package, with
your changes. It already shows the size from the narinfo files provided
by bayfront and berlin (3633056 bytes).

1:
http://data.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/l320ig872ny66d1yi6v7n4zb93iz50dx-sudo-1.8.31p1

It would be nice to have a URL like [2] (which obviously doesn't exist
yet) which would show similar information to running the `guix size`
script [3].

2:
http://data.guix.gnu.org/gnu/store/l320ig872ny66d1yi6v7n4zb93iz50dx-sudo-1.8.31p1/size
3: guix size /gnu/store/l320ig872ny66d1yi6v7n4zb93iz50dx-sudo-1.8.31p1

Would this be something I'd be able to convince and support you to do
Vincent? I'd be more than happy to help you to implement this.

Chris