guix-devel

Re: gnu: imagemagick/fixed: Redirect old sonames to new sonames.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: gnu: imagemagick/fixed: Redirect old sonames to new sonames.
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:40:04 -0400

Earlier, I wrote:
> Why is imagemagick grafted, anyway?  I think it can simply be updated
> without causing many rebuilds, no?

Actually, I see now that it would cause many more rebuilds than is
appropriate for master.

  mhw@jojen ~$ guix refresh -l imagemagick
  Building the following 1270 packages would ensure 2403 dependent
  packages are rebuilt: [...]

Strangely, before I ungrafted imagemagick on my own private branch,
I asked guix the same question and got a very different answer:

  mhw@jojen ~$ guix refresh -l imagemagick
  Building the following 2 packages would ensure 2 dependent packages
  are rebuilt: cl-ltk@0.992 ecl-ltk@0.992

I knew this couldn't be right, but I thought I remembered it having
fewer dependencies.  Oh well.  Sorry for the noise.

       Mark