guix-devel

unbound-service-type

From: Josua Stingelin
Subject: unbound-service-type
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 12:42:48 +0100

Hei Guix!

As far as I can see there's no service type to run unbound. A local, recursive,
caching DNS server.

I've tried to create it - but it doesn't quite work.

In order to be pushed upstream I'd like to add the configuration of the options
easily using the unbound-configuration-type.

For now I'd just like to get it up and running to start playing around with
more configuration options.

I'd like unbound to run in a chroot and with the user unbound.

So I started with the user account.

  (define %unbound-accounts
    (list (user-account
           (name "unbound")
           (group "nogroup")
           (system? #t)
           (comment "unbound daemon user")
           (home-directory "/etc/unbound")
           (shell (file-append shadow "/sbin/nologin")))))

Then I defined the unbound-configuration record type. Later on I want to expand
that. (Allow configuring of the user, group and directly set properties instead
of copying the configuration file)

  (define-record-type* <unbound-configuration>
    unbound-configuration make-unbound-configuration
    unbound-configuration?
    (package           unbound-configuration-package
                       (default unbound))
    (pid-file          unbound-configuration-pid-file
                       (default "/etc/unbound/unbound.pid")))

Next there is the shepherd-service configuration.

  (define unbound-shepherd-service
    (match-lambda
      (($ <unbound-configuration> package pid-file)
       (list (shepherd-service
               (provision '(unbound))
               (documentation "Run the unbound DNS server.")
               (requirement '(networking))
               (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
                          '(#$(file-append package "/sbin/unbound")
                            "-d"
                            "-c" "/etc/unbound/unbound.conf")
                      #:pid-file #$pid-file))
               (stop #~(make-kill-destructor)))))))

Based on these definitions I can now create the unbound-service-type.

  (define unbound-service-type
    (service-type
      (name 'unbound)
      (extensions
        (list (service-extension shepherd-root-service-type
unbound-shepherd-service)
              (service-extension account-service-type (const
%unbound-accounts))))
      (default-value (unbound-configuration))
      (description "Run the unbound DNS server")))

However when I add these to my operating-system configuration, and copy the
configuration file using the etc-service-type it doesn't run on start.

  (operating-system
    (services (append (list
      (simple-service 'unbound-service
                      etc-service-type
                      `(("unbound/unbound.conf", (local-file
"unbound/unbound.conf"))
                        ("unbound/root.hints", (local-file
"unbound/root.hints"))
                        ("unbound/root.key", (local-file "unbound/root.key"))))
      (service unbound-service-type))
    %base-services)))

As /etc/unbound is owned by root and a symlink to /etc/static/unbound that
isn't surprising.

How would I configure such a service under Guix (point me to an example maybe?)
and which directory should be used for the chroot? /etc/unbound doesn't feel
quite right.

Kind Regards
Josua a.k.a Joshua/Josh