guix-devel

Re: Unable to bootstrap Guix without substitutes

From: Greg Hogan
Subject: Re: Unable to bootstrap Guix without substitutes
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 16:28:13 -0500

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:39 PM Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> wrote:
I can perform the build successfully using

    $ guix build --check \
        -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) bash-masboot0)'

That scary backtrace happens even for the successful build, so I’m
pretty sure it is not the issue.  (Note that the configure test succeeds
in the end with a “yes”.)

Is there anything else suspicious in the logs?

Timothy,

Thank you for checking this on your own system, it was quite helpful to know that the failure was not universal.

I found a solution to building bash-mesboot0 in bug #49985 in mounting /tmp as tmpfs, as noted by Ludo'.

I then saw the error building binutils-mesboot0 as in bug #41264, for which Mathieu proposed an idea for fixing Mes, still awaiting implementation.

As a temporary fix the same tmpfs trick works when bind mounting /gnu and /var/guix onto the /tmp tmpfs. This should work for my workflow, and I am glad to see that others have continued to attempt to bootstrap from source without substitutes.

Greg