guix-devel

Shepherd socket activation

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Shepherd socket activation
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 10:32:44 +0100

Brendan Tildesley <mail@brendan.scot> writes:

> I'll have another go at making the Pipewire service soon. The last
> issue I ran into is that since Guix doesn't use systemd, there is
> no socket activation support that Pipewire can use, so I wasn't sure
> how to launch it.

We can add socket activation in its simplest form to Shepherd.  Shepherd
will only have to create socket files and listen for activity; on
activity it starts an associated service.  We don’t need to have it pass
sockets or do anything fancy.

I’m not a fan of how systemd uses only conventions to associate the
socket service with the service that should be activated.  In the
Shepherd we could define a separate one-shot service that creates the
socket (and has Shepherd listen on it), which names other services that
would be activated by activity on the socket.

--
Ricardo