guix-devel

Re: Proposed changes to the commit policy (#59513)

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Proposed changes to the commit policy (#59513)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:23:37 +0100

Hello,

Am Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 09:47:06PM +0000 schrieb Christopher Baines:
> I merged the changes a few days ago, so this is just a quick message to
> say that the commit policy has changed. You can read the updated policy
> here:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Commit-Access.html#Commit-Policy

as a quick concrete question: Do simple package updates still count as
trivial, or do they need to go through the patches mailing list?
I intended to update pari-gp from 2.15.1 to 2.15.2, as usual by checking
that all dependent packages still compile. Having to fiddle with debbugs
is somewhat deterring (although admittedly having qa compile all dependent
packages is also a service in a context where I do not expect problems).

In case the answer is that submitting to the patch tracker is required,
I would suggest to shorten the waiting period from one week to zero
(meaning that it is okay to push when there are no problems detected by qa,
without having to wait for human review that has no reason to occur).

I would also like to update mpfr and mpc in core-updates. The documentation
mentions the different branches under Step 9:
   https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html
but how is this specified in the email to the patch tracker,
so that qa applies the patch to the correct branch?

Thanks for your help,

Andreas