guix-devel

Re: Packages grow, no longer fit on a 💾

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Packages grow, no longer fit on a 💾
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:37:37 +0100

Hi,

Paul Jewell via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> skribis:

> - Can an ISO be bigger than a CD then be installed on a memory stick?

Yes, it can be installed from a memory stick, that’s probably what
everybody does.

> It strikes me that this is like King Canute holding back the
> tide. Package size growth is pretty inevitable, and even if work now
> can bring the size down to that of a CD, the same problem will occur
> in the not too distant future.

I’d like to question the extent to which this is inevitable, or at least
see what we can learn from others to try and mitigate disk usage growth.

Even from a purely practical perspective, it’s not convenient when ‘guix
pack’ creates big images that you have to carry around and your
colleague laughs at you because their Alpine image of “the same thing”
(quotes!) is half the size.  ;-)

Ludo’.