guix-devel

Compiler bootstrapping requirements

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Compiler bootstrapping requirements
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 19:10:34 -0500

Hi,

I remember seeing some details about certain compilers not being allowed
in Guix due to having an inadequate bootstrapping process, but I can't
seem to find it right now. I'm looking to write a package for the
Cyclone Scheme[1] implementation. The compiler requires a copy of itself
to build from the main sources, but there is a secondary repository
which includes some C files that normally require a copy of the compiler
to generate. I'm wondering: is the second repository[2] sufficient for
including in Guix?

Footnotes:
[1]  https://justinethier.github.io/cyclone/
[2]  https://github.com/justinethier/cyclone-bootstrap