guix-devel

Re: Compiler bootstrapping requirements

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Compiler bootstrapping requirements
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 09:20:45 -0700

Robby Zambito <contact@robbyzambito.me> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I remember seeing some details about certain compilers not being
> allowed in Guix due to having an inadequate bootstrapping process, but
> I can't seem to find it right now. I'm looking to write a package for
> the Cyclone Scheme[1] implementation. The compiler requires a copy of
> itself to build from the main sources, but there is a secondary
> repository which includes some C files that normally require a copy of
> the compiler to generate. I'm wondering: is the second repository[2]
> sufficient for including in Guix?
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  https://justinethier.github.io/cyclone/
> [2]  https://github.com/justinethier/cyclone-bootstrap

Without having looked at the specifics:

Generally what we do is find an early version of the compiler that was
bootstrapped not using itself, package that, and then use that package
to bootstrap the later versions.

Sometimes that earlier version is never published as the author(s) was
quickly iterating. In that scenario, I don't know what we do.

I hope that helps.

--
Katherine